It’s a presidential election year, and to d-bags that means party time!!! Our featured d-bag for today is Mike Norman, a sixty-three-year-old d-bag from Marietta, Georgia — a little town just outside of Atlanta.
As the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports, “The T-shirts are being peddled by … Norman at his Mulligan’s Bar and Grill in Cobb County. They show a picture of Curious Georgie peeling a banana, with the words ‘Obama ’08’ underneath.”
Whereas some, notably white people, are offended by by this and are protesting, Mike’s defenders make clear that he is only a d-bag, which is not only not a crime — it’s a positive asset! Notice in the following excerpt from the AJC article how d-baggery is portrayed and valorized. Here are some clues:
- Being a d-bag is an honest response to Obama, as opposed to racially sensitive whites who are false and dishonest.
- D-bags are “real” because they engage in dangerous and callousing activities — like smoking — that test their stamina and masculinity.
- D-bags are sweet parents who take care of their families by teaching them core values — like degrading others as a means of improving one’s own self-image.
- D-bags have been granted the right to inflame hatred and pick fights, either by Nature or God.
- D-bags love tools — maybe because they resemble them.
“But his [i.e. Norman’s] defenders are just as resolute [as his detractors]. Mulligan’s is a refuge, they say, in an otherwise hypersensitive world. Smoking isn’t only allowed at the bar, it’s expected.
“‘This place is a diamond in the rough,’ said Gene McKinley, a Woodstock engineer among the patrons Tuesday. ‘People here are genuine and honest. It’s the one place I can go without having to worry if I’m offending someone.'”
“He said he noted physical similarities between the Democratic front runner and the cartoon monkey while watching a Curious George movie with his grandchildren.
“The Tennessee native said he’s providing a public service of sorts, reminding people they have a right to offend.”
“‘This is my marketing tool,’ he said.”
Congratulations Mike, you are our d-bag of the day!